Guest post by R!c of www.SidewalkRunway.com.
Zara Durrani is a Yogi with spiritual beliefs. However, she’s far from the slow paced image that title might invoke. During both shoots I learned:
- In 2011 – 2012 she was the Producer and Host of “Life & Style with Zara”.
- Her acting career frequently takes her to Los Angeles and Toronto. She’s been a recent guest star on TV shows “Psych” and “Arrow”.
- She owns a Vancouver-based production company which helps businesses market themselves.
- She’s involved with Fashion Hope which strives to end human trafficking.
Coat Terra NY (Blubird)
Earrings Zuka Amazonite (Vancouver Designer featured at Malary’s)
Click www.SidewalkRunway.com to view more of R!c’s work. He’s frequently seen on the street capturing images for his blog and for his weekly fashion column in the Asian Pacific Post newspaper.
8 Best Beard and Hairstyle Combo For A Men
The combination of hairstyle and beard is necessarily not acknowledged by every guy but in order to have perfect look, you need a combination that gives you a leverage look. Your look turns attractive only when you have the right beard and hairstyle combination. In this article, we are going to come across various combinations that will help you in finding the one that you need. Your beard and hairstyle choice should be based on your hair type. If you have thin hair then you would need an attractive beard that suits your hairstyle. On the other hand of your hair are thick then your beard should complement your hairstyle.
- Contrast and Style: You can complement your hairstyle shade that can complement your beard shade. It is quite trendy. It is an interesting way to try different looks and look different and handsome with different tones.
- Military Haircut: A short and trimmed beard is the best compliment to your military hairstyle look. This is the best way to balance your hairstyle look with your beard.
- Light Beard with Medium Hair length: A light beard style suits the hair with volume and medium length. You would get a cool look with such contrast.
- Beard and Long Hair: Long hair is ideal for those who carry a rigid look. However, the long hairstyle might give those with a thin face an awkward appearance. Although if you are quite inclined towards long hair look then you should keep your beard growth towards the jawline. Your long hair and manly look come hand in hand when you try this out.
- You can try on various looks irrespective of the length of your hair. The best Panasonic electric shavers can provide you with the type of clean shave that helps you look your best. You can try on many hairstyles and beard combos. You do not wish for any unnecessary bumps on your head post head shaving. If you are an enthusiast who likes to try different looks on his face then you also need to carry the best grooming material. Your head needs a shaver that provides fine changes without any cuts. It should go smooth on your head surface. These were some basic tips.
Let us now discuss the hairstyle that is best for your beard type and gives you a signature and unique look:
- 1. Short Beard with wild curls
- If you have been dying to carry a sexy and appealing look then putting your curls free will make them irresistible and you would be a piece of attraction for many. You can create magic with your short beard and wild curls.
- 2. Medium Beard for Long Stylish Hair
- In this combination, you can complement your long and sleek hair by tying them at the back of our heads. The side portion of your head is tapered and cut short while moving down. You can slay it off with a fuller and medium beard to add to your manly appearance.
- 3. Natural Beard and short hair
- Comb your short hair backwards always. The long hair stripes should be arranged backwards and the rest should be tapered on the sides of your head. Have a full beard that should be of medium length and turns thinner while reaching your ears.
- 4. Elegantly styled and short beard
- If your style statement promotes style with elegance then this can be your major goal. You can gel and rush your hair of medium length to the back. Your beard should be short and thick. This combination is surely going to provide you with a charming and classy look at the same time.
- 5. Overgrown stubble for overgrown hair
- If you wish to have long hair but do not want to carry a messy look at the same time then this can be your right combination. With an overgrown beard, you can complement your long hair look at your best.
- 6. Hair and tapered beard
- Tapering is the best way to look stylish and handsome. Your personality gets an overall boost up and you get a charming and friendly look. Your beards are tapered on the edges and are of medium length. Along with your beard, your hair is also tapered on the edges. Your messy hairstyle from the front gets balanced and gives you a gentlemanly appearance.
- 7. Full Beard with Short spikes
- Spikes can be a great styling option if you have short hair. Along with that, you can have a full beard and you will rock in your look.
- 8. Intense long beard with lower bun
- You should embrace your long sleek hair by tying them at the back and an untrimmed fully grown beard can give you a mystical look. You would be all set to share your strong intense persona to the world.
How Emerging Fashion Label ASELECTFEW is empowering South Asian Culture through Streetwear
An Inside look into ASELECTFEW with creator Moneey Singh about the new collection and their latest event.
By Gagan Jhand
ASELECTFEW – A new streetwear label in Vancouver is taking inspiration from South Asian truck art in their launch of their latest “Phool Patti” (truck art) Collection drop. With designs that incorporate it’s Indian roots through the use of custom turmeric dyes, hand-painted elements, and Hindi script imprinted and woven into the garments, ASELECTFEW’s new collection embodies an authentic truck art aesthetic infused with modern street culture.
In the creation of the brand ASELECTFEW, designer and Creative Moneey Singh combines his 8-year background in engineering with his passion for preserving his Indian roots through fashion. “In order for people to truly embrace other cultures outside of their own, they need exposure in ways that still connects without it feeling too foreign.” Moneey Singh speaks on the significance and story telling behind the brand
Using Turmeric dyes to create their signature bright colors, and artwork derive from truck art molded into their own reinterpretation – the line embodies premium quality through their choice of fabrics and traditional South Asian garment making methods.
The usage of Hindi script tells a story through poetic phrases that translate to popular sayings in India such as “Kismet Ka Khel “ –as fate would have it or “Pyar Ka Karz” translating to “love costs”.
“I believe that things happen for a reason. That is what led me to this direction, to create this brand. With Pyar Ka Karz – I think this phrase would resonate with many because everything has a cost, even love. I had a great career in engineering, manufacturing, and project management – which led me to learn how to process things and implement change. It gave me the foundation to build and create, to want to evolve and innovate. At the end of the day through my experience, what I learned is that it’s all about communication.” Moneey Singh shares on his journey and experience that led him to create the brand.
The collection offers a range of tees, pants, shorts and hoodies made from heavy-weight 100% USA premium cotton and custom dye processes. As ASELECTFEW® had their official launch in June 2019, they’ve been organizing exclusive local events to be able to showcase their collection as well as connect with the community.
“It’s important for us to keep a strong tie with the community and hosting events allow us to do exactly that, have people coming together to celebrate art and culture. It also allows us to showcase what we’re about – creating thought-provoking, wearable art that pays homage to south Asian heritage.” Moneey Singh describes of their Events.
ASELECTFEW® is presenting their latest event happening this weekend- September 28th-29th as they debut their first pop-up and listening party – in collaboration with their new merch collection with world-renowned artist Khanvict. The Pop-Up will take place from 11:00am-7:00pm at the Sneaker Gallery in Gastown, located at 151 Cambie Street, Vancouver BC.
ASELECTFEW®’s pop-up viewings are appointment only and bookings can be made through their website at www.aselectfew.co/booknow. All guests that book an appointment will receive 30% the entire collection on any purchase made in-store, an ASELECTFEW® custom tote bag, two tickets to the evening listening party (RSVP here), as well as entered to win a raffle prize. Guests that book an appointment will also receive a 100-dollar credit towards any sneaker purchase at six hundred four. The evening listening party is from 7:00pm-11:30pm and is invite only, however all guests that book an appointment through our website are entitled to two tickets for the event which will offer free drinks, our new collection preview as well an opportunity to hear Khanvict’s new Kahani EP release.
Highlights: South Asian Fashion Week 2019
Vancouver B.C. | For a city that’s usually not known for its sense of fashion, South Asian Fashion Week is here to save our fashion impaired city.
Once again, co-founders Cindy Khella and Farah Hassan have come together to host an event that celebrates and recognizes South Asian designers success locally and internationally.
Compared to last year’s event, this year’s show included a larger range of diverse contributors including, designers, stylists, models, artists, photographers and filmmakers.
The show was filled with collaborations from all artistic walks of life.
This year’s designers included Falguni Shane Peacock who A-list celebrities such as Beyoncé, Lady Gaga and Priyanka Chopra Jonas have worn designs custom made to them. By popular demand, Falguni Shane Peacock was asked to walk two out of the three nights for their jaw-dropping designs.
Baynes and Baker, a dominantly male fashion line, used the SAFW runway to showcase their new women’s line. Many guests were in “awe” and excited for the numerous pieces they could wear day to day to work. Guests took to Instagram to say how much they loved and needed to own pieces of this new collection.
Show stoppers, Masters in Leasure by Dontdoze took the stage to uniquely display a fusion of paintings, sculptures and clothing. The stage was used to display the artist’s fashion and costume design project. Their designs symbolized and connected to the works of artists such as Banksy who had painted, “Love is in the Bin.”
Dontdoze has also produced and curated an art showcase that was displayed outside of the runway where guests had the opportunity to take look at Dontdoze’s and local artists work. The artists curated in the showcase included work from Sandeep Johal, Ricky and Rajan, Sunroop Kaur and Paint to Paper Studios.
Local Surrey designers took the stage as well, just as much displaying their collections besides international and national designers.
SAFW included many other surprises including Canadian influencers that sat within the audience. Influencers included MangHoe Lassi a Canadian-Pakistani drag queen, Pooja Patel a social media influencer, and Wanting Qu Chinese singer-songwriter.
UP! Pants new Spring/Summer 2019 collection available now! Let your ‘Spring Romance’ bloom with face of the brand Niki Taylor
Celebrate the warming weather with the incredible pants that blend fashion, function and fit, with UP! Pants’ new ‘Spring Romance’ (S/S ’19) collection available now! Enjoy a multitude of colorful and fun new styles in the pants that make every woman feel fabulous.
The Montreal-born brand is also thrilled announce that supermodel and icon Niki Taylor will be returning as the face of their Spring/Summer ‘19 collection. A real-life embodiment of what UP! aspires to achieve: inner beauty, warmth, and confidence; UP! is honored to share their efforts in making every woman blossom with confidence this Spring with Niki.
Let your Spring Romance bloom and blossom with UP! Pants and Niki! The Spring/Summer ’19 Collection is an amazing mix of bold and fun colourful prints, combined with geometric and textured jacquard patterns. From bright orange sunflowers, to soft black & navy toiles,
pastel floral arrangements and vibrant micro florals, the choices are endless! This collection places a greater emphasis on color and prints that pop, while also including the styles UP! is known for with side slits, petal slit detailing, boot cuts, straight legs and more!
The upcoming collection also marks the return of their luxury Cavalli twill fabric, designed in pastel tones including; dusty rose and blue – injecting a soft feminine feel into the design. Furthermore, the brand’s luxury Roma fabric will now come in a gaucho, the perfect trans-seasonal pants! Lastly, with the popularity of their denim collection, UP! Pants has added a white crop! It’s safe to say that there’s tons to look forward to this season!
Spring/Summer ’19 will be UP! Pants’ second collaboration with Niki. As creative director Jacqueline Harris explains: “Niki is a timeless beauty she is just as beautiful now at 43 as she was at 16, 22, and 32! She never goes out of style which epitomizes exactly what UP! Pants is all about. We, like Niki, are not a fad.”
Since its development in 2014, UP! Pants has been revolutionizing the fashion world, by merging function and fit with its transformative pull-on pants. A brand designed to empower women and make them feel confident in who they are, UP! Is now available in over 600 stores across Canada.
UP!’s pull-on pants breakthrough THINCREDIBLE FIT technology works by using materials that stretch perfectly and comfortably to conceal any imperfections. The contour stretch waistband gives everyone’s middle the most flattering look. It’s built-in front panel slims and flattens in comfortable ways. Whether it be to a meeting, a night-out with friends, or a casual weekend at home, enjoy the look and feel that makes every woman feel perfect in her pants!
The company that manufactures the best feeling and best looking pull-on pants for women, UP! Pants continues to make women feel beautiful inside and out with their new collection. Let your Spring Romance bloom in all its shapes and sizes with UP! Pants’ Spring/Summer 2019 collection!
South Asian Fashion Week second walk will bring more surprises
Vancouver, B.C. | The second annual South Asian Fashion Week has finally arrived in Vancouver, and this year’s event coordinators and designers are coming in with all they’ve got.
This week, Feb. 21, SAFW hosted a media launch in Yaletown’s exclusive and hidden gem, the Pierre’s Champagne Lounge. Media was invited to mingle alongside the co-founders of SAFW, two of the show’s designers, as well as a few models of the show who wore the selected designs that introduced this year’s collection.
The designers invited to display their line Thursday evening were House of Raina representing women’s fashion as well as Baynes and Baker, representing men’s fashion. Both designers walked the runway last year and both have big plans for this year’s runway.
SAFW’s co-founders Farah Hasan and Cindy Khella, believe that Vancouver was an obvious choice to display South Asian fashion for its diversity and fashion scene.
“Vancouver may be known for it’s Lululemon and love for yoga, but Vancouver also loves fashion,” said Hasan.
After their first attempt to display South Asian fashion, the show captures major international attention which caused Hasan and Khella the ability to let the show grow.
This year numerous vendors will be displaying their work prior, during and before the showcase. Guests can also expect to see designers such as Falguni Shane Peacock whose designed for celebrities like Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Priyanka Chopra Jonas.
Models from around the world have been invited to walk the runway and are flying in from locations such as Burma, Toronto, Los Angles and New York.
According to Khella, just like last years run, the stage is open and is meant to be diverse and representative.
“We’re really honoured to have these people come aboard and be a part of South Asian Fashion Week. For us, South Asian Fashion Week is almost like a melting pot, not only for cultures but also for different ideas,” said Khella.
Apart from the clothing and jewellery that will be displayed, Khella and Hasan have introduced an art lounge that is open to young and upcoming artists. The space is not only open to South Asian artists but is an opportunity for anyone.
Khella said that giving opportunities to young and upcoming artists is important to SAFW and she hopes to continue to incorporate the art lounge in coming years.
This year’s show includes a lot of firsts and numerous opportunities for young artists. According to Khella, young people interested in fashion, photography, videography, makeup and other artistic abilities can have the opportunity to join a new mentorship program.
“We want to create a platform where (artists) can come in and they can experience firsthand how it is to do makeup and to take photos,” said Khella.
This mentorship gives young people the opportunity to use showcase their talents. With Khella and Hasan behind them, they will also provide equipment, if needed, to those selected.
To kick the mentorship off, five artists have already been selected.
South Asian Fashion Week will run for three days during the first week of March.
To Khella, the success of fashion week can be credited to their guests.
30jan01febThe Pacific Agriculture Show9:00 am - (february 1) 4:30 pm Location: Tradex Exhibition Centre (1190 Cornell St, Abbotsford, BC V2T 6H5, Canada) Cost: $15 general admission, $10 seniors and 4H, FREE for kids under 14! Tickets are available at the door.
– View All Events –
What to Expect from the Canucks in 2020
Misinformation by City Exposed by Surrey Resident
7-Eleven Canada Brings the Taste of Hawaii to Canadians During the Dreaded Winter Months
North Surrey Sport & Ice Complex Hosts Official Grand Opening
City of Surrey Among Canada’s Top Employers for Young People
City2 weeks ago
Busy Surrey travel corridor gets faster and more frequent service with RapidBus
Music1 week ago
South-Asian FM Station 91.5 Connect FM Launches in Surrey!
Politics3 weeks ago
2019 Surrey Report Card: Councillor Gives Mayor’s Team a D for Transit and F for Proposed Police Department
Events3 weeks ago
DFSIN BC Excellence Awards A Fun Filled Event
City1 week ago
Death of Democracy Protest in Surrey City Hall
City2 days ago
Misinformation by City Exposed by Surrey Resident
Community Board6 days ago
Community Kitchen program helps newcomers bond over food
Education2 weeks ago
SFU’s next president eyes “new era of potential”