Rogers Hometown Hockey Lands at Surrey Civic Plaza on December 9 & 10
Surrey, BC | Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour presented by Scotiabank and Dodge is headed to Surrey for a celebration of hockey on December 9 and 10. The weekend will feature broadcast hosts Ron MacLean and Tara Slone, meet-and-greet opportunities with NHL alumni Kirk McLean and Dave Babych, live local entertainment and engaging activities for the whole family.
The two-day hockey festival begins on Saturday, December 9 at noon at City Hall Plaza in Surrey, and will conclude Sunday evening following the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party. The afternoon’s broadcast kicks off with a special pre-game show hosted live on site by MacLean and Slone from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio beginning at 3:30pmon Sportsnet and Sportsnet NOW, followed by a showdown between the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Festival Details
The free hockey-themed weekend will feature games, prize giveaways, fun activities, and live local entertainment for the whole family, including:
- Rogers Fan Hub, helping fans be fans, the Fan Hub features innovative and interactive experiences, showcasing virtual autographs from NHL stars, a hockey-themed Zamboni video game and autograph signings with NHL alumni Kirk McLean, to unite fans in their passion for the game. In addition, fans are treated to free hot chocolate on site.
- GamePlus where if you are a Rogers customer you can come to the GamePlus desk in the Rogers Fan Hub and redeem exclusive experiences such as meet-and-greets with NHL alumni, autographed merchandise and tours of our Sportsnet Mobile Studio.
- Sportsnet Augmented Reality Photo Booth where fans have the chance to get close to their favorite players through augmented reality technology. Fans can take photos with virtual images of NHL stars, and have the photo emailed directly to their device for social sharing.
- The Hockey Circus Show where attendees can see Paz our world-renowned hockey acrobat! Paz juggles everything from pucks to flaming hockey sticks all while standing on top of a net. It is an experience that the family will never forget.
- Scotiabank Community Locker Room which is a family-friendly space to engage hockey fans, celebrate the game, and interact with NHL alumni, such as Dave Babych. Scotiabank will also be donating $15,000 to minor hockey associations in the community.
- Dodge Family Zone features the famous Stow ’n Go Challenge, a hockey-themed obstacle course. Also, fans have the opportunity to enter a contest to win $5,000 for their local minor hockey association and a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica for their family. All contest entrants will receive a co-branded Dodge and Rogers Hometown Hockey retro toque.
- Tim Hortons Ball Hockey Rink presented by Sportsnet features pick-up games for the community, including local Timbits Hockey players.
- Dr. Oetker Giuseppe Pizzeria where fans can enjoy a free slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria pizza fresh out of the oven, and play the Find Giuseppe Match Game to win a rooftop experience and other great prizes.
- Playmobil Kids Zone where fans have the chance to face off against friends and family with the PLAYMOBIL NHL Arena and its lineup of NHL figures. In the zone, fans will also be able to enter to win a new NHL playset.
- OK Tire Zamboni Pit Stop features a pit-crew-like experience where fans have the opportunity to test their tire-hanging skills on a replica Zamboni.
- Live local entertainment featured throughout the weekend.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Event and Broadcast Details
Location: City Hall Plaza – 13450 104 Avenue, Surrey | Time: Saturday, December 9 – Festival open from noon to 6pm
Sunday, December 10 – Festival opens at noon and runs through the end of the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party | Broadcast: Special Guests – Owen Hopkins, Dave Babych, Rick Hansen, Brenden Dillon, Hockey Night in Canada Punjabi Broadcast Team | Game Matchup – Edmonton Oilers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs, 3:30pm | (Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW, Rogers NHL LIVE) | Features – Jujhar Khaira: Edmonton Oilers’ forward Jujhar Khaira shares the story of his hockey upbringing in Surrey.
Brenden Dillon: San Jose Sharks’ defenseman Brenden Dillon talks about Surrey and his connection to the HEROS program. HEROS helps at-risk youth by connecting them with mentors through the game of hockey. My Hometown Must: Tara Slone takes Bollywood dance lessons in downtown Surrey.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Contest
All season long, fans can tune in to the Sunday night broadcast on Sportsnet and Sportsnet NOW for a chance to win weekly prizes through the Rogers Hometown Hockey Contest. Join the conversation by using each week’s unique hashtag to tweet @Rogers to automatically be entered for a chance to win a number of prizes, including a trip to the 2018 Stanley Cup® Playoffs. The contest runs during every Sunday broadcast through to the final Rogers Hometown Hockey of the season on Sunday, April 1 from Montreal.
Social Media Links
- Official website, Rogers Hometown Hockey www.hometownhockey.com
- Like Rogers Hometown Hockey www.Facebook.com/RogersHometow
- Follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Twitter @HometownHockey #HometownHockey
- Follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Instagram @HometownHockey
- Official website, Sportsnet www.sportsnet.ca
- Like Sportsnet www.Facebook.com/Sportsnet
- Follow Sportsnet on Twitter @Sportsnet
- Follow Sportsnet on Instagram @Sportsnet
- Follow Ron MacLean @RonMacLeanHTH
- Follow Tara Slone @TaraSlone
About the Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour presented by Scotiabank and Dodge
The Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour rolls into 24 communities across Canada this season with a weekend of free outdoor hockey festivities for all ages. The weekend culminates in an outdoor viewing party of an NHL game broadcast every Sunday on Sportsnet and Sportsnet NOW, with Ron MacLean and Tara Slone hosting live on site from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio. For more information on the tour, please visit www.hometownhockey.com.
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports media brand, uniting Canadians through sport with the content they love, accessible from anywhere. Delivering world-class storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level, the multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet 650, Sportsnet NOW, and the Sportsnet app. Sportsnet consists of four regional channels (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), and the nationally-distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and Sportsnet World. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multimedia rights holder, and is also the official regional television broadcast rights holder for the Calgary Flames (including radio rights on Sportsnet 960 The FAN), Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs (including radio rights on Sportsnet 590 The FAN) and Vancouver Canucks (including radio rights on Sportsnet 650). Sportsnet also has exclusive TV & radio coverage of all 162 Blue Jays games, as well as other MLB games, Toronto Raptors, NBA, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, and extensive soccer programming including Premier League, Bundesliga, FA Cup and 2018 FIFA World Cup European Qualifiers.
Rogers is a leading diversified Canadian communications and media company that’s working to deliver a great experience to our customers every day. We are Canada’s largest provider of wireless communications services and one of Canada’s leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet, information technology, and telephony services to consumers and businesses. Through Rogers Media, we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, sports, televised and online shopping, magazines, and digital media. Our shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI).