Should establishing a formidable alumni association be a priority for institutions? Well, research shows that creating a reliable alumni network improves the institution’s image, enhances career opportunities for students, and provides a strong sense of community.
The benefits linked to such associations cannot be discounted. Consequently, it’s crucial that every institution institute a mechanism of managing all their former students. Here’s a complete alumni management guide:
What is an Alumni Network
An alumni association refers to an organized group of former students. Upon convocation, the graduates come together to form strong associations that promote each other’s welfare.
Contrary to the beliefs of many, the link to your institution of study will not end after earning your diploma. Instead, that will be the beginning of even more fruitful encounters with both the current students and the staff.
Interestingly, even fresh graduates benefit a great deal from the older alumni members. They get job referrals and access unique platforms to help them improve their competencies.
What Are the Benefits of an Alumni Network
Education institutions thrive on quality education and unadulterated image. One of the surest techniques to win the trust of employers and potential students is by establishing an engaging alumni network.
Here are other benefits of an alumni network:
- Brand Ambassadors. If you keep in touch with your former students, they are more likely to paint a positive image of your institution to employers. This will create more opportunities for your graduates leading to better ranking and exceptional accreditations
- Impact Decision Making Positively. Since your alumni are in the job market, they understand all the dynamics that will influence your decision making. As such, an engaging alumni network will lead to more quality decisions, which will consequently result in a rise in your institution’s reputation
- Expertise. The alumni will share their experience with current students through talks, magazines, and other relevant platforms.
Unique Alumni Management Tips
Managing a large number of alumni members can be a hassle. As such, you need dependable tools to help you reach all of them and keep constant communication. Fortunately, the evolution of technology has opened up a myriad of options that will surely improve your alumni management experience. They include:
- Form Highly Engaging Social Media Platforms. Some of the platforms that you can utilize include LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Create a Catchy Profile. Let the image of your institution be outstanding in all aspects. This way, you’ll create authority and the alumni will have the confidence to recommend the institution to potential students
- Create Useful Content. While forming social media platforms is essential, it will not yield the desired results if you fail to post informative and mind-provoking content regularly
- Utilize Modern Data Analytics Techniques. When highlighting the success of your institution, you should use trustworthy data. Also, apply infographics and give informative statistics with high convincing power
- Update Alumni Records Regularly. How current your alumni data is will determine your success in alumni management. Ensure that current workplace, portfolios, and all other crucial details.
- Highlight Alumni Talents. Always ensure that you celebrate all the successes of your alumni members. This helps in building trust and enhancing loyalty among alumni students and staff.
Alumni Management - The Bottom Line
Establishing and managing a vibrant alumni association is crucial for any institution. They become your brand ambassadors and ensure that you make decisions that will impact the students’ future positively.
However, you must have a unique alumni management approach to harness the benefits. This article highlights several techniques that you can use to this effect.