A heartfelt and award-winning drama is the first of three Canadian shows in the Arts Club Series in Surrey
The Piano Teacher, October 10-20 | Main Stage at Surrey Arts Centre Surrey, BC | Surrey Civic Theatres presents the Arts Club Theatre Company’s production of The
The Piano Teacher, October 10-20 | Main Stage at Surrey Arts Centre
Surrey, BC | Surrey Civic Theatres presents the Arts Club Theatre Company’s production of The Piano Teacher-lessons on life and love-at the Main Stage at Surrey Arts Centre (13750 88 Avenue) from October 10 to 20.
Sometimes theatre can create a safe space for conversations about complicated subjects at the same time as it creates a compelling and engaging experience. In The Piano Teacher Erin, a concert pianist, hasn’t touched a piano since her husband died. As Elaine, a piano teacher, gently reacquaints Erin with her instrument, other life changes follow. A simple update to Erin’s home, for instance, brings the unexpected companionship of a contractor, Tom.
Reviewers called the premiere production in 2017 “a beautiful meditation on grief, loss, and the healing power of music” (Georgia Straight), and an “incredibly moving piece of theatre, filled with maturity and thoughtfulness” (Vancouver Presents). It won the Jessie Richardson Award for Outstanding Original Script.
About this touring production, which reunites the original actors, playwright Dorothy Dittrich said, “Now we have this beautiful opportunity to return to the story, to explore and try things that time and distance have allowed us to ruminate on, wonder about, and sometimes discover after the fact.”
The Piano Teacher kicks off the 2018/19 Arts Club Series at the Surrey Arts Centre with an all-Canadian lineup. Other shows are the spontaneously fun Blind Date (January 9–19, 2019) and the critically acclaimed musical tribute to Joni Mitchell Circle Game (February 20–March 2, 2019).
VALUE ADDED PERFORMANCES
· Opening Night Wednesday: Ticket buyers to the October 10 performance can arrive early to relax, socialize, and enjoy complimentary appetizers from 6:30pm.
· First Friday: Tickets to the October 12 performance include dessert and coffee after the show—with a chance of actor sightings.
· Paint at the Play: During the 4pm performance on October 13, child care for ages 6 to 11 with an experienced visual art educator is free for ticket buyers. Registration is through the Box Office at 604-501-5566.
· NEW—Pre-show Chat: On October 16 at 6:45pm in the lobby, playwright Dorothy Dittrich will offer an insider’s look into the show.
· Talkback Thursday: Audience members can stay in the theatre after the performance on October 18 for a chat with the actors.
· VocalEye: Live audio description of important visual details and physical actions is available for audience members with vision loss at the 4pm performance on October 20. Equipment (the use is free) must be reserved in advance through the Box Office.
- Tuesday to Thursday at 7:30pm
- Friday and Saturday at 8pm
- Saturday and Sunday at 4pm
- Running time is approximately 2 hours, including intermission
- $29 to $49 (includes all fees)
- Tickets Online: tickets.surrey.ca
- Box Office: 604.501.5566 | 13750 88 Avenue
Mature themes and strong language
Megan Leitch (Erin), Caitriona Murphy (Elaine), and Kamyar Pazandeh (Tom)
Scott Bellis (Co-director), Jenifer Darbellay (Costume Designer), Rachel Ditor (Co-director & Dramaturg), Sandra Drag (Stage Manager), Kyla Gardiner (Original Lighting Designer), Becca Jorgensen (Apprentice Stage Manager), Yvette Nolan (Original Director), Patrick Pennefather (Sound Designer), David Roberts (Set Designer), Ted Roberts (Tour Lighting Designer)
October 10 (Wednesday) 1:00 am - November 20 (Tuesday) 1:00 am